Friday, May 16, 2014

Here comes the weekend and my Friday classic oldie jam pick

Blue Velvet
Bobby Vinton (1963)

With summer just around the corner, I hope you have some fun plans for the weekend.

The temperatures have fallen a bit in the San Francisco (more like normal) but I will surely feel the heat again on Saturday as we journey to Wente Winery for brunch and wine tasting (a belated birthday/Mother’s Day treat from my daughter). They have a fabulous brunch. Can’t wait.

On Sunday we're going to the Satsuki Bazaar & Arts Festival. My beautiful niece, Maile will be performing the hula. She's an excellent dancer! They have lots of food and activity and some killer shaved ice!


Do you remember this Bobby Vinton song from 1963?
(be sure to click on the link above where you can listen to the song)

"Blue Velvet" is a popular song written in 1950 by Bernie Wayne and Lee Morris. It was originally recorded and performed by Tony Bennett, who charted with it in 1951, it was remade four years later by the R&B group, The Clovers. Many other artists have recorded the song, most notably, Bobby Vinton, and Lana Del ReyDavid Lynch wrote and directed a film of the same name. The original recording by Tony Bennett was a top twenty hit, while Bobby Vinton's version soared to the number one position on the Billboard Hot 100 (September 1963). Del Rey's cover version was used in a commercial to promote the clothing line H&M. 

Speaking of 1963
This is a photo of our 1963 Pontiac Grand Prix (the car I got my first driver's license in). My 2 brothers are outside the car and we are pretty sure that is me inside the back seat with the glasses. My brother posted it for Throwback Thursday and I liked it so much I thought I would use it on my weekend wrap up.

Other fun stuff

The Cannes Film Festival is May 14-25. France anyone?

Sunday, May 18 marks the return of Bay to Breakers, the oldest consecutively run annual footrace in the world (since 1912) and one of the city's biggest parties every year.

This is the beginning of the Art & Wine Festivals. Check your local listings for locations near you. 

Jazz man, Herbie Hancock  May 18, SF JAZZ Center

We're going to take a lot of photos at the winery so be sure to stop back by for the photos and my winery review!

Whatever you have planned (or don't).... Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment