Thursday, November 6, 2014

Fall Back and Throw Back

It's fall back time again for those of us who observe daylight savings time. Personally I'm not too fond of this time of year when it's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home.  I'm one of those people who is effected by sunlight. I'm happy that Costa Rica does not have Daylight Savings time.  Sundown is about 5:30 pm and sunrise is about 5:30 am. No setting the clocks back in the car and the micro wave. 

My weekend oldie jam pick for this week is by Luis Miguel from his Romance Cd.  (Actually it is EVERY song on the entire Cd) which is from 1991. Does that qualify as old?  Well, if you are judging from my photos below - that was a VERY L O N G time ago! 

I first heard the Cd back in 1992 when my daughter, Farryn and I were on our Amtrak yearly cross country train trip. We used to love to travel the country by rail.  Each year we would choose a different destination and you could makes 3 stops on the cross country rail pass. That particular year we chose Denver, Miami and Vermont. 

No me platiques mas
from the Cd Romance
Luis Miguel 1991

Luis Miguel Gallego Basteri (born April 19, 1970), known professionally as Luis Miguel, is a Puerto-Rican-born Mexican singer. An icon in Latin America, he is often referred to as El Sol de México, and he's one of the most successful artists in Latin American history, having successfully performed in a wide range of musical styles, including popballadsboleros and mariachi. To date, Luis Miguel has sold over 100 million records worldwide.


This is a photo of me in 1992 at age 42. And just goes to show you how the media can mess with your perception of what you should look like.  I look at this photo now and shake my head. I obviously had a problem with body image distortion because I actually thought I was fat!

On our Miami stop we visited my long time friend, Wendy. It was my first time there and we headed out for the popular South Beach. We stopped in at the News Cafe and Luis Miguel was playing. After swooning over the sexy voice of Luis (a couple of margaritas) and Spanish words I still do not fully understand, I bought the Cd. Obviously it was not just the drinks because I have loved this Cd through the years. Brought it back out again now so I can start brushing up on my Spanish for the move to Costa Rica!!



Interesting enough almost 10 years later I made another cross country Amtrak trip. This time my daughter and I were joined by my boyfriend (we had been together about 3 years at that time).
Our stops this trip were Denver, New York and Boston. We took side trips from Boston to Portsmouth New Hampshire (where I lived for a few yrs) and then to Martha's Vineyard - Nantucket.

While in NY we saw Cats on Broadway. After the show it was late and we were hungry. We found the most exquisite restaurant still open. It was Le Cirque. We stopped in after a short wait were seated at a table. We had a delicious meal there -- and guess what Cd was playing? Yep you guessed it. It was Luis Miguel!


Le Cirque  - Where food, art and fashion converge. Opened in 1974 Le Cirque is a French restaurant located at One Beacon Court, 151 East 58th Street (between Lexington Avenue and Third Avenue) in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. 


Our stop in Nantucket in 2000

A stopover in NJ to visit my friend Wendy (who had moved from Miami)
Me and the man (age 50). This was before all his hair went gray
and I had just chopped my hair off to start my locs.

Might as well say it now....
Whatever you have planned (or don't)....Hope you enjoy your weekend!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

1 comment: