Monday, July 6, 2015

Decades of Drinks - My Margarita Recipe

A Cocktail is any beverage that contains three or more ingredients if at least one of them contains alcohol.
There is a lack of clarity on the origins of cocktails. Traditionally cocktails were a mixture of spirits, sugar, water, and bitters. But by the 1860s, a cocktail frequently included a liqueur.
  
I am primarily a wine drinker and Tequila is the only alcohol that I can drink straight, so it is probably not surprising that my favorite cocktail is the Margarita.

The problem is, I cannot seem to make a good one at home. 

I know that it has been said that the brand of Tequila you use does not matter, but I beg to differ. I have been using Jose Cuervo and its associated Margarita Mix. The drinks were awful. Too sweet  and syrupy. The Margaritas tasted nothing like the ones I got when I was at a restaurant or a bar. 

So I looked up some recipes on line and went out and bought:
Herradura Reposado (which is aged in American oak barrels for 11 months. The soft flavor of the wood is combined with the Agave to give life to the most famous rested Tequila in Mexico and the world. Casa Herradura has produced this 100% Blue Agave Tequila for over 24 years. Its traditional taste can be enjoyed in more than 50 countries)

along with a lime squeeze, alcohol measuring cup and a cocktail shaker.  

Yesterday I set about making Margaritas for our group.  I had to make several batches before I got it right. Or at least until we tipsy enough to think it was right!

Here's one of the recipes I used.


The Margarita (about)
The classic margarita, best when made properly using fresh ingredients, appeared in bars until around the 1930s. Even then it never really took off until 40 years later. Its sudden rise in popularity was due largely to Mariano Martinez, a Dallas restaurateur and inventor of the Frozen Margarita Machine.

This innovation was so influential that the original machine was retired to a place of importance in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History and has been considered one of the “Top Ten Inventions from the National Museum of American History’s Collection”.

Margarita
2oz tequila
¾oz cointreau
¾oz fresh lime juice
¼oz agave syrup
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled rocks glass filled with ice (optional salt rim). Garnish with a lime wheel. 

Yum! I'm no pro yet but it was fun practicing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment