Monday, January 5, 2015

If not now, when?

Is it time for a change?

I see a hat I like. 

Try it on.

9 times out of 10 - it doesn't fit. 

Looks like a toy sitting atop my head.

Story of my life.

I'm forever complaining about the size of my head and how I can never find hats to fit.
It has been suggested to me on more than one ocassion that the culprit might likely be the tons of hair on my head and not so much my head  per se (although my head is definitely larger than average) but at any rate, wearing hats has been a chore.


After 14 years of growing my natural hair (for those not familiar with black hair Sisterlocks are natural locs (think Whoopi Golberg) not braids), I have NEVER worn my locs completely down. Nope, NEVER! My hair has consisitently been pulled back in one or a series of ponytails or twist overs.

For photos I throw it over one shoulder but most of the time you can only see it from the back. There are many reasons for this and most of them stem from the fact that when I wear it down -- it is a whole lot of hair for a black girl in corporate America. And let's face it, 14 years ago it would not have been acceptable. So I got used to pulling it back and up.

But it's NOW --  it's 2015 -- and in a few short months I will turn 65 and sign up for medicare. And soon after that... I will be enjoying retirement!

So, if not now....when?


Over the holidays I spent some time at the boyfriend's house where none of the electronics were working properly (he doesn't watch TV)  He was in his office working and me and the girls (my Yorkies Lily & lola) were left to entertain ourselves.

I had brought my camera with me to take some photos featuring some of my hats.

I had also washed my hair the previous day and had braided it to dry. (I braid after washing for a crinkle look) My plan was to photograph the hats as I wear them most often (as a cover for my hair while it dries).

So I shot all the photos of me in my hats - hair hidden underneath.

The next day, with hair dry, I unbraided it and before I put it back in a ponytail, it was just hanging loose. It was then that I got the idea of seeing what the hats would like - seriously that idea never occurred to me in the past.

I popped on a hat and snapped some pics.

and...What a difference flat hair makes! And Suddenly OMG -  the hats fit like a glove and many were even too big!!

I was having such a good time taking photos and posing for photos the boyfriend took, that we ended up with a loads of photos (and if you know anything about photo shoots you know you have to take a ton of pictures to hopefully end up with a few good enough to use)

Well, I think we have more than enough pictures to highlight a different hat every day this week.

So that's the plan!

Hope you'll stop by and check me out. And feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think about my new hairstyle possibility!


Oh and as usual the dogs just love the photo shoots


hair up
hair down
this is the same hat
big difference huh?














Do you see TWO different hats in this photo. 
If your answer is yes, you are correct
My boyfriend thought there was only one and suggested I should point it out
(thanks babe) 




Life! 
It's all about change

please stop back tomorrow for "my  hats" day 2
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment