Thursday, May 8, 2014

When I'm 64 - Reflections on my life so far

Life is short! **Break the rules! ** Forgive quickly! ** Kiss slowly! **Love truly,** Laugh uncontrollably... And never regret anything that made you smile.

Well, it's finally here. Today I am officially sixty-four years old.

I've been humming the tune "When I'm Sixty-Four" for the last 3 or 4 months now. The song by the Beatles, was written by Paul McCartney for Sgt. Pepper in December 1966 because his father turned 64 earlier that year. I was an innocent 16 year old with so much of life ahead of me and thinking at the time that 64 was really old! I mean my parents weren't nearly that old and they were ancient in my eyes.


When I reflect back over my life I remember that when I was younger I thought that when I grew up, life would be just like it was on my favorite televisions shows, Leave it to Beaver and Donna Reed. Well, long story short, my life did not turn out to be anything like the Beaver's.  I was born at the Florence Crittenton Home for unwed mothers (not the best start for a Leave it to Beaver life), but I truly believe that we are born in to the perfect family (whatever it looks like) to provide us with the circumstances we need, to become the fullest expression of who we are meant to be.



The most important thing I have learned is that life is sacred so live and love with an open heart. I'm healthy and happy. My greatest joy outside of my family and friends is the project I founded to help the people of Guinea Bissau West Africa.

These are the words I live by
Go out in this world and create — make something brilliant, whether it be a piece of art or a book or music or a wonderful new invention or a world-changing business or whatever it is you do in the world.

Remember, You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

Of course there is still more life to live as I continue the journey (my chapter 2). I don't dread birthdays or getting older any more. Instead, I look forward to them with joy and gratitude! Next year there is medicare and the following year I will finally reach the new retirement age for those of us born in the year 1950. Can't wait!

I think this is where we started...
When I'm 64
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Devon! Thank you for your inspirations and love for life. What a beautiful gift to share with the world!

    ReplyDelete