Friday, June 13, 2014

Here comes the weekend wrap up and my Friday classic oldie Jam pick

"alligator lizards in the air"
Ventura Highway
America (1972)

Oh my! Do you remember bell bottoms and hip huggers? 1972 fashions @ Sears source

The weekend is upon us once again.  Do you have something exciting planned for this Father's Day weekend?

Wishing all the dads a Happy Father's Day as well

My girls spent the day at the groomer last week, so now it's my turn.  I have my hair appointment on Saturday.  People often ask me "is that your real hair?" The answer is 'Yes".   I have been wearing my hair natural (Sisterlocks) for about 14 years.  It's easy to maintain but even natural hair has to be groomed, so about every 6-8 weeks I go to my consultant and she makes sure my hair is in order.  Takes about 3 hours.  Got to look good for the wedding next week!
I'll also be trying to figure out what I'm going to wear to the picnic wedding on June 21st.  I think I need a hat!

Match Preview: A rematch of the 2010 World Cup final. Two of the best soccer powers in the world.  I fell in love with soccer when I was in Barcelona in 2010.  So I will be glued to the TV to watch the FIFA World Cup.  If you are a FIFA fan, don't forget to watch Netherlands vs. Spain (Group B) | Kickoff: 6/13, 3 p.m. ET | Stadium: Fonte Nova, Salvador

On Sunday we are getting together for our weekly discussion group. I LOVE this group! This week we have a special guest from Ecuador who will join us for the 1st time.  We'll be discussing "why we need to choose creativity over conformity"

This week I also made headway by announcing my next It Takes a Village project in Africa.  We received an update on the triplets that were born in the tiny village of Quebo, Guinea Bissau.  A village where medical services are virtually non existent.  This is truly a miracle as there are many superstitions surrounding multiple births.  Our project will build a medical clinic for the village.   The project is scheduled to begin in the fall. 

Meet the miracle triplets - Ismael, Mamede and John

How many of you remember this 1972 hit, Ventura Highway by America?
(be sure to click on the link above and listen to the song)

This is one of my favorite songs! I love the group America!"

America is an American folk rock band formed in London in 1970.  Ventura Highway" is from their album, Homecoming.  The band's 3 members were barely out of their teens when they became a musical sensation in 1972, scoring No. 1 hits and winning a Grammy for best new musical artist. 

Remember these? Some of their best known songs are "A Horse with No Name", "Sister Golden Hair" (both of which reached No. 1), "Ventura Highway", "Tin Man", and "Lonely People". 

Dewey Bunnell, the song's vocalist and writer, has said that the lyric "alligator lizards in the air" in the song is a reference to the shapes of clouds in the sky he saw in 1963 while his family was driving down the coast from Vandenberg Air Force Base near Lompoc, California where they had a flat tire. While his father changed the tire, he and his brother stood by the side of the road and watched the clouds and saw a road sign for "Ventura".


Whatever you have planned (or don't)....Hope you enjoy your weekend!

R.I.P beautiful Ruby Dee who passed away at the age of 91. It's finally time to join your beloved  husband, Ossie Davis!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment