Tuesday, July 15, 2014

More treasures from the garage

My computer remains at the "Apple hospital" undergoing diagnosis, so I will continue to be offline for the next few days.

But, before I go silent I thought I would share a picture of my kimono.

The kimono  is a Japanese traditional garment. The word "kimono", which literally means a "thing to wear" (ki "wear" and mono "thing"), has come to denote these full-length robes.
One of my finds while shopping the garage last week was the kimono below.  It's an authentic silk kimono from Japan. My friend and I each bought a kimono when we were visiting Lake Tahoe some 20 years ago.

 I wonder if a kimono becomes more valuable with age?


The kimono and obi are traditionally made of silk, silk brocade, silk crepes (such as chirimen) and satin weaves (such as rinzu). Modern kimonos are widely available in less-expensive easy-care fabrics such as rayon, cotton sateen, cotton, polyester and other synthetic fibers. Silk is still considered the ideal fabric.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment