Friday, August 29, 2014

I gotta get out of this place!

It's finally here!!

and...

What a difference a Day Makes
What a Difference a Day Makes by Dinah Washington on Grooveshark
Dinah Washington 1959

It's the long weekend! Plus I also have Tuesday off as well.  Trust me, I will definitely need the time to recuperate from another hectic week at work.
Birthday celebration August 2013
I'm looking forward to Saturday. We will be attending a birthday party for a good friend. Has a year really gone by, already?  It seems like only yesterday that we were celebrating his birthday and lo and behold it's that time again.


We always have a really good time with delicious food and great conversation!


What do you have planned? 

And, speaking of birthdays.....
I was a little young to have real musical favorites back in the 50's, but I remember my father speaking of the singer, Dinah Washington and I remember hearing this song. Dinah and my father attended the same high school, Wendell Phillips High School on the South side of Chicago.

How many of you remember this 1959 hit oldie, What a Difference a Day Makes 
by The Dinah Washington?
(be sure to click the link to listen to the song)

What a Diff'rence a Day Made" is a popular song originally written in Spanish by MarĂ­a Grever, a Mexican songwriter, in 1934. Originally, the song was known as “Cuando vuelva a tu lado” ("When I Return to Your Side"). The song is also known in English as “What a Diff'rence a Day Makes”, as popularized by Dinah Washington.

Dinah Washington won a Grammy Award in 1959 for Best Rhythm and Blues Performance with this song. Her version was also inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1998. It also earned her first top ten Pop hit, reaching #8 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Born, Ruth Jones; August 29, 1924, in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Dinah passed away early on the morning of December 14, 1963 of an accidental overdose of diet pills. She was only 39 years old.


Wendell Phillips High School Circa 1940
Whatever you have planned (or don't)...Hope you enjoy your weekend?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

2 comments: